Designed by Vickers-Armstrong’s’ chief designer, Rex Pierson, during the mid-1930s, the Wellington Bomber was a British twin-engine, long-range bomber.
The key feature of the bomber was the geodetic airframe fuselage structure, which can be most clearly seen in the cockpit design. This fantastic bomber was built specifically for the Royal Air Force and was widely used throughout World War II.
On the 4th September 1939, 24 hours after the start of war hostility, 14 Wellington Bombers were among other planes who performed the very first RAF bombing raid of the Second World War over Brunsbuttel, Germany.
However, during the raid, there were high amounts of anti-aircraft fire on the ground from German troops. This is resulted in two Wellington’s being the first aircraft to be lost on the Western Front of the war.
The Wellington Bomber was primarily used as a night bomber in the early years of the war however, by 1943 it had started to be replaced by the newer and larger four-engine bombers. It did continue to serve throughout the war in other duties, most successfully as anti-submarine aircraft.
It was also the only British bomber to be produced for the whole duration of the Second World War and was actually produced in greater quantity than any other bomber plane, with nearly 11,500 made in total.
Visit us to see a part of this historic and impressive bomber at our museum and learn more about the aircraft’s ventures during the war.